Electronics and Medical Devices
Few industries face the mounting challenges and scrutiny of expanding environmental compliance requirements, ecological mandates, consumer expectations and NGO watch groups as much as electronics and medical device manufacturers. Even before the Sony PlayStation cadmium crisis, the entire supply chain has been inundated by an ever-expanding myriad of legislation, ranging from the EU Directives on waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE), the restriction of hazardous substances (RoHS) and the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH) to US legislation on conflict minerals. The depth and amount of information that suppliers must access, evaluate, compile, integrate and disclose is growing exponentially.
How can manufacturers identify requirements, overcome present and future compliance challenges, and tap a host of unrelated data sources in order to remain relevant, flexible and competitive? 3E Company provides a central source of comprehensive and accurate compliance content solutions that can be easily managed and integrated into a manufacturer's business processes. The results are increased levels of compliance, reduced risk and liability, and improved performance.
Mitigating Supply Chain Risk
Understanding what products are made of, the regulatory status of products and components, and these products' origins form the basic building blocks for managing regulatory obligations, communicating to key stakeholders, and mitigating risk in your supply chain. The 3ESC Supply Chain Solutions™ can help you:
- Gather information from upstream suppliers such as material disclosures, substance declarations, compliance certificates, certificates of origin and more
- Respond to incoming customer surveys / inquiries while protecting confidential business information and trade secrets
- Monitor new and emerging regulatory obligations and market trends and assess how they impact your products, suppliers or customers
- Assure compliance and market accessibility for your products by identifying risk associated to products and suppliers
- Analyze compliance status by supplier, raw material, product or obligation
Ensure the Safety of Your Products
While compliance affects the entire manufacturing organization, typically only a few individuals fully understand and are accountable for ensuring the requirements are met. Product compliance information and data usually exists in silos, spread across several business units throughout the organization. 3E® provides EH&S and regulatory professionals with powerful and robust tools for a number of compliance related activities, including the following:
- Research the EH&S effectiveness of raw materials and finished products
- Research how substances used are regulated in the markets in which you manufacture and sell your products
- Identify the potential existence of banned chemicals / chemicals of concern in your inventory
- Analyze the chemical makeup of products to identify less hazardous alternatives
- Produce MSDS / SDSs and labels for finished products, including exposure scenarios and extended MSDS / SDSs
- Ensure downstream customers receive / have access to your products' MSDS / SDSs and emergency response contact information
- Facilitate appropriate classification or re-classification and labeling of substances to comply with GHS / CLP
Learn more about Ariel® WebInsight, Ariel Integrated Content Solutions, Ariel Content Solutions for SAP®, MSDS / SDS Authoring and Distribution, MSDS / SDS Management and Emergency Response Solutions.
Manufacturers Are Users of Chemicals Too
Not only do electronics and medical device manufacturers need to ensure the safety of their finished products, but the safety of their employees who are handling chemicals or hazardous substances in the workplace as well. In addition, regulatory professionals certainly find value in having access to the information found on their raw material MSDS / SDSs when the time comes to document everything that goes into their finished products.
3E can alleviate much of the burden of maintaining vendor MSDS / SDS data by offering a highly secure web-based application with supporting services that include obtaining, indexing and maintaining MSDS / SDSs for all chemicals used in the manufacturing process.
Alternatively, 3E can feed robust document sets, including MSDS / SDS, compliance declarations, technical data sheets and material declarations directly into an existing EH&S, procurement, EMIS, or other system such as SAP, Enablon, ChemSW, SciQuest or other OTC or custom system, which can significantly streamline the management of chemical data by centralizing it into a single repository. Centralizing data saves valuable time, increases efficiency, and ensures consistency across the entire organization.
Learn more about 3E MSDS / SDS Management products and services.
Ensure Compliant Transport
As products are transported up and down the supply chain, ensuring compliance can be a challenge, especially for global companies. 3E can help you ensure products can be shipped using a preferred mode of transport or provide guidance to employees to ensure proper use of markings, labels and documentation. 3E can provide an emergency contact phone number to publish on your MSDS / SDSs or provide a phone number to your employees to call in the event of a spill or exposure.